Monday, August 15, 2011

Medical School

I definitely don't have time for this post now, as I should be studying...but my brain is about to explode, so it is time for a break.

In brief, on July 31st my parents and I road-tripped down to Spartanburg, SC where I will be living as I attend medical school. On August 1st, we got the keys to my apartment. I'm living downtown...just a four minute drive to school! My school is called Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Carolinas Campus (www.vcom.vt.edu) and is known as VCOM-CC for short. The school is affiliated with Virginia Tech, so all my email and online school stuff is through the Virginia Tech website. Classes began on August 8th, so this week I am beginning my 2nd week of medical school.

How am I surviving some of you ask? I'm doing rather well. I love it down here. I absolutely love my school and I have really felt God confirm that this is where I am supposed to be. I am so blessed by the opportunity to be here and I am looking forward to all that God will do in the next 4 years. School is great, so far. This term is called a block and goes until mid-October. I am taking Cell Bio & Phys, Microbiology, Immunology, Histology, Pathology, Genetics and OMM. I have my first exams next Monday! Every professor covers 40-60 powerpoint slides in one hour. What I learned in undergrad in three weeks, I learn in one day at VCOM. The amount of information is incredible. I love my classes, but they certainly do keep me busy.

An average day in the life of Christina:
5:45am : Wake-up
6-6:15am : Quick run around downtown
6:15-7:15am : Shower, get ready & leave the apt!
7:20am : Arrive at school early to get a good seat
8-noon : Classes
noon-1pm : Lunch
1pm-3pm : Class (In two weeks that will change and I will have class everyday until 5pm)
3-4pm : Mental break
4-10pm : Study
10-11pm : Get ready for bed & quiet time with God

...I know that all too soon my bed time will be pushed back and I will be staying up later to study, but for now I am trying to get to bed at a reasonable time. I love school, but it certainly is overwhelming and it doesn't leave much time for anything else.

God has really blessed me with some great friends and I am enjoying getting to know the other 161 students in my class. I'm one of the few Northerners, so my excuse for everything has become, "I'm from New York" ...really, I should probably rename my blog "A Yankee Girl in Dixie." I am acutely aware of the fact that I speak without a Southern drawl and sometimes feel quite out of place. The South (although I love it), is vastly different from New York.

Well, that's all for now, because I really need to study.

VCOM-CC Class of 2015 Celebration Dinner:

Angela, myself & Cheree

No comments:

Post a Comment